Sammy Davis, Junior, Junior.

Saturday, October 06, 2007

More late night food fun!

So I was not feeling so hot today. Supposed to go to a show tonight with a friend and decided to bail out... What's the next best thing to going out you ask? Roasting
chicken!!!

I decided to read up on why you would want to brine a chicken. It all makes sense. I used a 3qt brine with a 1/4cup of sea salt per qt. In addition to that I added savory, chili powder, 8 cloves of minced garlic, and some black pepper. I've been pretty happy with how it turned out, the chicken was a bit salty, but not bad.

Next up on the menu was my first Risotto. Again, it turned out very good. Since this was my first try I decided to purchase a mix from Trader Joes and read what they had in it. It was short grain Italian rice, and a seasoning packet that was basiclly salt, dried chicken stock, dried wine, starch and a bit of dried mushrooms. While reading up on Risotto I figured that I'd get the rice started with some shallots, garlic, and olive oil. That is where I learned my first lesson. It's true that when you want to wilt some herbs/garlic/etc that you remove it prior to adding the rice and then re-add it later when you're simmering it. I didn't do this and ended up browning a little bit of my garlic too much.

ANYWAY... Things turned out pretty good, since I planned to use half of the seasoning packet (I was not prepared with white wine and stock .... I would have skipped the packet if I had that) and then decided to simmer 2 cups of water with a 14.5oz can of chicken stock. I just went by the book adding stock until it simmered off until I was getting low on stock. At that point I decided to turn down my heat a little, add some hot stock and cover it for a bit.

While the rice was cooking I chopped up some snow peas, red bell pepper and basil (for garnish). I let the rice simmer on low for about 5 minutes, and I figured that I was simmering it uncovered while slowly adding the hot broth for about 20 minutes. When I removed the top the rice was much closer to being done and I had about a cup of hot broth left. I added the veggies and a ladle of hot broth and covered it again, I figured that I was adding about a cup of cold stuff so I wanted to let it sit up top and warm up, it worked out pretty good. About two minutes later I removed the top and just got back to stirring and adding broth until the rice was tender.

I have to say that I was quite surprised in how well this turned out. Sure am looking forward to doing this again, I'm going to need to stock up on the chicken or veggie stock! I want to try grapes and almonds, or spinach and walnuts... actually any nut and veggie sounds good.

When I plated everything my thought was to put some parmasian on top of the rosotto with a little of basil. It was PERFECT. Oh, yeah, and the chicken was yummy too.

PICTURE TIME!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home